I am compiling a list of terms and facts that I have learned over the last few years being in and out of therapy…
MLD. Manual Lymph Drainage.
CDT. Combined Decongestive Therapy. (bandaging)
There are two schools of bandaging method for this, Norton and ACOLS (? I’ll research it). One was way more successful for me than the other.
Vodder Method. A method of Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) and Combined Decongestive Therapy. Brought to the US for a conference in the 70s by Professor Hildegard Wittlinger (see links below).
The Vodder Method is the method that has worked with the best results for me. If you would like more information about the Vodder Method, please take a look at the Dr. Vodder School International.
DID YOU KNOW?
Various things I have learned from my own personal research as well as my therapists. Personal notes in italics underneath.
- Coffee slows your lymphatic system. The bean itself. It doesn’t matter if it is decaf or not. And if you have Candida, you should stay away from it anyway as it is a mold containing food (as is popcorn).
- Soda makes my ankles swell. If you have lymphedema and drink soda, try stopping for a week and see if there isn’t a difference. When I stopped drinking coffee and soda, my legs went down by half the size, and became more pliable and less inflamed. Huge difference and I can always tell if I have had any.
As with any site, always check to make sure the site has been updated recently so the information you are getting is current. If it hasn’t been, it might be best to look elsewhere.
- “Foldi” European Center for Lymphology (Germany) – http://www.foeldiklinik.de/englisch/lymphologie.php
- Lymphatic Yoga Expert – http://www.lymphaticyogaexpert.com
- National Lymphedema Network – http://www.lymphnet.org
- American Lymphedema Framework Project – http://www.alfp.org
- International Society of Lymphology (ISL) – http://www.u.arizona.edu/~witte/ISL.htm
- Lymphatic Research Foundation – http://www.lymphaticresearch.org
- American Cancer Society, Lymphedema page – http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/physicalsideeffects/lymphedema/index
Lymphedema Alert Bracelets
I do not have one of these yet personally, but have this one on my wish list: http://www.stickyj.com/aa1048.html#.Ue7teRbQrtE
- Mostly standard – http://www.medids.com/lymphedema-alert_bracelet.html
Resources for Lymphatic Self-Massage
There are a few resources online with videos for self-massage, but self-massage can actually be dangerous if not done properly, so I have opted to not post those here and recommend speaking to a licensed MLD therapist instead.